Monday, March 05, 2007

Dr. Limburg: my grampa


Here's another spotlight. I know I said I would do one on you, dad, but I thought it would just be easier to go in family order, if you know what I mean.

So I want to do this post on my Grandpa Limburg (my mom's dad). A couple of days ago I did one on my Grandma Limburg. I love him very much.

He was born as David Greaves Limburg on July 1st, 1944, into a family of 5 kids, him being the oldest child and son - David, Doug, Marsha, Eileen, and Lisa. So 2 boys and 3 girls. His middle name is his mom's maiden name (my great grandma Emma Geneal Greaves Limburg Smith). Wasn't he a cute baby?

To tell you the truth, I don't know very many stories of when my grandpa was a little boy. I guess I need to catch up on that.

But I do know that he went on a mission to Scotland. And right after he left on his mission, his dad (my great-grandpa Limburg)suddenly died of a heart-attack. He was still really young - in his 40's. It was very unexpected. My grandpa even had a dream about his family at the funeral. And then he got the phone-call the next day. So I never met my great-grandpa Limburg, who my uncle Paul is named after. And my mom didn't meet him either. So my great-grandma Limburg got remarried to my great-grandpa Smith. So my grandpa actually has 6 step-siblings (and I have 11 great aunts and uncles on that side - whoa).

(above:) Here's my grandma and my mom when she was 1 week old - I luv this picture because it looks like my mom is saying "Aaaaaaaaahhhhh! I didn't know that floor was that far away! Don't drop me, dad!"

I don't want this post to be exactly like my grandma's, but love at first sight, and they were married on June 18, 1968. And had my mom, Julie, on October 23, 1970. And another 5 kids - Jill, John, Paul, and Challis over the next 7 years, and finally #6, my aunt Micaela who is only 8 years older than me.

All of my aunts and uncles are married now with 2 or more kids of their own - totalling 19 grandkids. But my mom and my aunt Traci (John's wife) are expecting. So at the end of this year 21 grandkids!

(above:) My grandpa and grandma Limburg - November 1987

My grandpa went to medical school and was asked to be a doctor in a little town in Utah when my mom was really little, and they have lived there ever since. He retired a couple of years ago, but when I was little he used to take me to work with him and I would hand him stuff or he'd let me sleep in one of the beds at the hospital and have the nurses there let me watch TV and bring my orange juice to sip. haha that was fun

He's really good at singing, and has done lots of performances at church. He loves his banjo - he plays it when we go to visit sometimes. He has an amazing memory, and a very high IQ. *sigh of jealousy*

Everyone in the little town they're from knows him. Even though he's retired, they still call him Dr. Limburg. Just like my grandma, he's fixed almost everybody at least once. And then he was the bishop of his ward, so everyone says to me, "Ah, you're Dr. Limburg's granddaughter." etc...It's like they already know about me even though I've lived in Japan my whole life just because my grandpa is so well-known. Weird.

He's had many, many near-death experiences. Including the time he almost drowned at Uba Lake, the day he got 3rd-degree oil burns the day I was born, or the heart-attack he had last summer during the family reunion in Park City. I'm so glad it wasn't his time to go! I love you grandpa! Naga-iki-shimasu-youni (I pray that you will have a long life)! I love you!

(above:) Limburg family 2002

No comments: