Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Short Update


Baby Update, Week 20:

My mom's half-way done with her preganancy this week! The baby weighs about 10 1/2 ounces now. It's also around 6 1/2 inches long from head to bottom, and about 10 inches from head to heel. (For the first 20 weeks, measurements are taken from the top of the baby's head to its bottom - known as the "crown to rump" measurement. After that, measurements are from head to toe. This is because a baby's legs are curled up against its torso during the first half of pregnancy and are very hard to measure.) A greasy white substance called vernix caseosa coats its entire body to protect her skin during its long submersion in amniotic fluid. (This slick coating also eases the journey down the birth canal.)

The baby is swallowing more, which is good practice for its digestive system. It's also producing meconium, a black, sticky substance that's the result of cell loss, digestive secretion, and swallowed amniotic fluid. This meconium will accumulate in its bowels, and you'll see it in its first messy diaper (although a few babies pass it in utero or during delivery).


Kindergarden

I finished reading Anne Frank Remembered a couple of days ago (a Christmas present from Santa, see to-do list in the side-bar). I really get into those kind of books, but sometimes I get into them too much and I either can't sleep at night or I wake up during the night in sheer terror because the Nazis are going to come barge in our house and find that we were hiding Jews. So yeah. I have to limit myself on war movies/books.


Bop To The Top

Nothing exciting happened today...I didn't even leave the house! I just stayed in my Jammies all day! Yay PJ day! I guess I went to the mail-box to mail a letter with Noah...but that's it!
Start Of Something New

My dad gave me a blessing because you know how I told you that I was having this ear-ache-kind-of-pain in my left ear and every time I yawned, coughed, swallowed, or burped it hurt so bad I would double up in pain on the floor. But my ear didn't feel clogged and there was no pressure, so I didn't have an infection but it was sheer pain. I had 2 sleepless nights because it hurt so bad. But because I had a blessing last night, my ear is feeling much better today!

No comments: