Saturday, January 07, 2012

Emma

I watched the 2009 version of Emma last year when Bear and I were still engaged. I know British dramas are not Bear's favorite (that's mostly what we watched all of Christmas break), and he only suffers through them for me, but I really do love them. I guess it's because I grew up on them. I just love British humor, and my current obsession is Downton Abbey!


So, although not all the British dramas I watch are super mushy Jane Austen movies, Emma really is my favorite (even though Downton Abbey is keeping me on my toes). I love the 1996 Gwyneth Paltrow version and didn't really like the 2009 version when I saw it a few months ago. But my dad gave it to my mom for Christmas, so I watched it again with her. And I like it a lot  better now. Mostly because of this video:

It just makes me so happy. I don't romanticize and yearn about my own future love story any more now that I'm married, but I would like to say that I'm happy that I grew up on Jane Austen. It taught me to not settle for anybody and to marry your best friend. Now that I'm married, I can feel as happy as Emma does in the above video every day if I want. It's the best time of my life. It's so worth the yearning-ful wait of my teenage years. I don't compare my own love story to Twilight, Jane Austen, or any other silly fictional romance, because the best love story is your own. Because it's real, and you get to live it every day. I made Bear promise me today that we will keep falling in love with each other our whole lives and not turn into Mr. Elton's definition of an "old married man". 


Now I get to buy all of my own Jane Austen movies ♥ 




THE END

No comments: