Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Writing Assignments

Here are some English writing assignments of mine - you can read them if you have the time!

"Getting To Know You" writing assignment

"Things Everyone Should Know About Lexi"

* I will become instant friends with you if you invite me to go shopping!
* You’ll almost always find me on the computer, writing on my blog, expressing my self.
* I’m a girl and proud of it – but I’m neither a tomboy nor a girly girl – I’m a little bit of both.
* On a Sunday afternoon you’ll probably find me hand piecing a 1930’s style quilt with lots of reproduction fabrics in use!
* I will usually only watch TV if it’s Disney Channel with my all time favorite shows being Hannah Montana and High School Musical.
* I’ve been called a hard-boiled egg before because I’m an American girl that grew up in Japan because of my dad’s job – so I’m white on the outside (American), but on the inside I’m really yellow (Japanese).
* My height was below average while I was in elementary school, but now it’s up to average at 5’3”. Who knows - I might grow a little bit more!
* It’s a good thing that I grew up in Japan - I probably wouldn’t have survived if I lived in Hawaii. I can’t and will not eat pineapple, mango, papaya, guava, ham, seafood of any kind (including tuna), or dried fruit like raisins and dates (even though I like grapes) even if you beg me.
* I was born on the first day of Fall 1991 – but my birthday (September 21st) hasn’t landed on the first day of fall since then.
* Money is always gone from my wallet – I can’t help buying clothes and accessories (especially from the brand American Eagle).
* My body was not built for sports of any kind – I seem to fail all sports, but I will play a casual game of basketball with you if you ask.
* Even though I was born into a family of marathon-runners, I’m a short-distance runner.
* I am a sugar addict. My mom has to keep reminding me to eat healthy or I’ll regret it when I get older.
* Books cover the walls in my room. If you come into my room late at night, you’ll probably find me reading a book in bed.
* Singing makes me happy. I hope to be really good at it when I’m an adult.
* Camping is not my thing – I’m not an outdoors-type-of-person.
* When I’m bored I will dance! Mostly “We’re All In This Together” from the movie High School Musical or “A Million Ways” from the band OK Go.
* My family is a “hugging” family. You need to be warned that I might hug you a lot.
* I like “smiley” people. I tend to hang out with people that smile a lot.
* Fantasy movies with a battle of good and evil at the end are right up my alley.


Newspaper Editorial writing assignment

The Modern Holocaust

Abortion is the deliberate killing of the weakest and most defenseless among us. Unfortunately, for the last few decades, the practice has been recognized as a fundamental human right by the highest court of the land. Many people are fervent supporters of abortion. Their reasons for support are varied. However, I believe that support for abortion is not possible for those who understand our dignity as human persons under God. God made us, and it is from Him that we derive our worth.

What motivates an abortionist? Somehow, abortionists have become callused to the reality of their actions. Like Shakespeare’s Macbeth, they have blood on their hands, and it cannot be washed off. They are like gas chamber operators during Hitler’s holocaust. They are like slave traders who traded in human flesh during slavery. If you are still unconvinced about the horror of legalized abortion, at the next opportunity pick up a little baby, hold it in your arms, gaze into its eyes and you will know the truth. Another truth is that it just is not natural for a mother to have an abortion. Instead, it is natural for a mother to love and care for her baby. This motherly instinct for nurturing and bonding should be encouraged. It is basic to our human society and it benefits us all. Giving women an immoral choice of abortion should not break it down. I know that you will ask - What about those mothers who for some reason cannot love and care for their babies? Well, the choice should not be to keep or abort the baby. The choice should be to keep or give the baby away. Abortion clinics should be changed to adoption clinics. Surely most people would agree that a well-organized adoption system would be much better than our current abortion system. If we were able to stop legalized abortion tomorrow, most of the babies saved from abortion would be loved and cared for by their biological mother. Those mothers would end up being grateful for their child and glad that they did not have an abortion. Most of the rest of the children would be adopted by their extended family or by noble strangers. Indeed some would probably fall through the cracks and end up in foster homes or in orphanages. However, this is no reason to kill them. There is no doubt that in twenty or so years from now a vast majority of babies saved from abortion will be glad to be alive.

The Hiding Place Personal Response Essay


“Rewards in Heaven”

I read The Hiding Place exactly one year ago. But instead of focusing on the powerful messages about how God helped Corrie Ten Boom, I only thought about the horrible things she went through and let them haunt me. But this time, I began to notice that the main point of her story wasn’t the horrors of war, racism, and concentration camps, but that God can help us through anything.

In a way, I think that this is a self-help book. But, unlike other self-help books, Corrie didn’t have all the answers in the beginning, like most authors of these kinds of books. She gradually learns, and you learn along with her. I like how whenever she would have something very difficult that she had to overcome, like forgiving the guard who came to ask her forgiveness at the very end of the book, she didn’t immediately forgive him, and prove to us that she did it on her own. She had to ask for God’s help to forgive him. That’s the whole point of the story – she made it through because of Heavenly Father’s help.
And the first time I read this book, I didn’t understand why the Ten Booms would risk their lives every second of the day for Jews. But now I understand why. Even if the Ten Booms were taken away and thrown in jail or taken to a concentration camp, and suffered terrible things, even if they had a slow, painful death, they would be rewarded in heaven. They weren’t thinking about the rewards that they would have here on earth. You can see that they thought this way from what the father says: “You say we could lose our lives for this child. I would consider that the greatest honor that could come to my family...” And when she hears that her father has died, she says she knows where he is. Betsy and Corrie’s father were rewarded for what they did after they died – but I think that Corrie was supposed to live through to tell us her story of hope – that God can help us through anything if we ask him for help - that we’re never alone. Our Heavenly Father is always there for us. He’s suffered more than any human on earth, so he always knows exactly how we feel. This book made me realize that we shouldn’t be as worried about dying if we know that we’ve been doing the right thing.

No comments: